Monday, March 1, 2010

The Walker Art Center


Franz Marc
The Large Blue Horses

Walking into the "Benches and Binoculars" exhibit was overwhelming. Art work from floor to ceiling and wall to wall made me feel very small! I have been studying art history for a grip. Seeing so many works of art in person at once was stunning and humbling. "Large Blue Horses" by Marc stood out to me. The composition features three dynamic figures of horses. The brushwork is handled loosely. The color palette is fairly limited but fully saturated and bold.

The work I am invested in currently has parallels to Marc's "Large Blue Horses" that I was fortunate enough to see first hand at the walker. It is interesting to think about the concept of contemporary in 1911, when this was painted. The techniques that were developed one hundred years ago are still influencing the art world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment